Water and food have always been an important part of our lives. Since our body’s weight mainly comprises water, which is around 60% of our body’s composition, we have to ensure that each of our vital systems gets a good amount of water. Many of our important bodily functions will use water, and for a good reason. Whether it’s breathing, sweating, or even digesting food, water has always played a vital role.
Not only does water help in these vital functions, but our body also uses it for cooling down during warm climates, filtering our bloodstream, and other essential brain functions. That said, drinking the recommended amount of fluids in a day can ensure better hydration, which means that our organs can function in optimal conditions. But how do we practice proper hydration? What are some effective ways of reminding ourselves that water should always be part of our daily routine? Here’s what you’ll need to know.
How Much Water Should You Drink?
But before anything else, we’ll need to answer one of the most important questions that people have been asking for years: how much water does your body actually need? Well, certain studies being conducted by organizations like the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine have suggested that you’ll need to have at least around 2.7 liters of water (or fluids) for women, while most men will require around 3.7 liters. Still, it’s important to note that this is the average for the research, and the needs will vary depending on the person’s BMI.
Drinking a few glasses of water in one sitting might not seem like a challenge, right? Although it is possible that people can hydrate in just a few minutes, most individuals that are living a hectic lifestyle will need to be constantly reminded that they will need to be hydrated. But other than helping our key bodily functions, what else is important? We need to be hydrated for the following reasons:
- Mitigates infection risks — Our immune and circulation system will require a good amount of water to flush out disease-causing microbes and bacteria that might cause health complications, such as urinary tract infection.
- Lubricating joints — Our skeletal system will require fluids to have a wide range of motion. This is especially true for synovial fluid, which reduces friction and cushioning impacts that might cause damage to the bones.
- Healing Process — Hydration can also help expedite the healing process by retaining water and moisture. This is important for organs like our brain, our spine, and our bones.
It’s also important to note that water is responsible for the transportation of nutrients throughout our bodies. Not only is it important for nutrients, but it can also help with a steady supply of oxygen that each organ in our body needs. Fortunately, recent technological innovations have made it possible for companies to create beverages that can easily hydrate individuals while being healthy at the same time.
You won’t have to look far for any of these products since you can make the water in your household healthier through water softener installation services. Not only will this help keep your inhabitants happy, but this can also make drinking water more fun.
Building a Better Habit
Although drinking water and staying hydrated might have many health benefits, building a habit should be the first thing people should focus on. Here’s what you can do:
- If you’re not quite keen on drinking water regularly, you can accelerate the amount you consume. Although you don’t have to chug down jugs of water, you can start with at least a few glasses in a day.
- Start keeping track of your habits. If you’re a bit forgetful, you might want to consider using smartphones or smartwatches with built-in applications that can help track hydration and how much water you’re consuming. You can also set a reminder on when you should be drinking with many of these devices.
- Lastly, you can add some flavor to make drinking water a bit more fun than usual. Most would suggest adding some cut-up fruits and berries in the mix. Not only will this make drinking water more fun, but this can also give your body some much-needed nutrients.
There are a variety of ways to remind ourselves that we have to stay hydrated. Although we might be busy doing tasks, we should never forget that hydration is vital for our bodily functions. Most of the time, we take much of our bodies for granted and forget that we need to take a break at least and hydrate our system. Dehydration can lead to real consequences, especially if we want to keep our system healthy.
Think of water as if it’s your body’s fuel. Keeping your body hydrated is like getting ensuring that a machine is well-oiled and fueled for the day. Thus, keeping much of your body hydrated at all times is one of the best ways of making a significant impact on your health.